what is language?
Language is the elaborate system that enables us to communicate, think, and learn. We share information through spoken language (listening and talking) and written language (reading and writing).
WRITTEN AND SPOKEN
5 areas of language.
1. Phonology (the speech sound system)
2. Morphology (structure of words)
3. Syntax (sentence structure)
4. Semantics (the meanings of words)
5. Pragmatics (language use in the social world)
Spoken language development is the foundation for literacy development. Children learn how sounds turn to letters and connect to form words, how words are combined to express meaning, and how meaning can be obtained through comprehension.
language + literacy + learning
are closely interconnected. When children exhibit difficulties or differences while developing language or literacy, academic challenges can often arise.